What's new for Series 7 of Knightmare? A summary of the main differences.
Start of Series
Spying a bottle, Treguard suspects that Pickle has taken to drink. As he opens it, a genie emerges and quickly establishes her presence.
- Treguard: Perhaps you can tell me what has become of Pickle?
- Majida: You mean this nervous, elf-like person with big ears? He leave you message... he go back to forest to be happy elf. I am your new assistant.
- Treguard: Oh, no. No - that's not suitable...
- Majida: I know what to do and how to do it. I show you!
She introduces the first dungeoneer, to her own horror.
Similarities and Differences
Treguard shared the role of bringing new teams into the game with his feisty new assistant, Majida.
Episodes begin with brief progress reports from Treguard over the previous theme tune (Series 4-5) before launching straight into gameplay.
A new helmet with visor is introduced to accommodate new in-game visual elements. A variety of sight-based potions and spells gave dungeoneers the ability to share the advisors' view through the helmet.
We changed the design because the old one was getting too well known.
CITV reverted to audio-continuities this year, which meant no guest appearances or competitions.
There is no longer a 'Choice of Paths'. Instead, Treguard usually announced the quest object before the team began. Together with shorter episode intros, this allowed more time for gameplay.
The route to Level 3 was usually hidden and required Hordriss the Confuser to reveal it.
Following the destruction of Mount Fear, Lord Fear's new palace is the CGI-generated Black Tower of Goth. Listen out for numerous references to how unnatural it looks. The first line of defence was a sewer, which dungeoneers had to cross.
A suite of new characters was introduced. The tricky Scaramonger and Elita were replaced by Rothberry and Romahna, which generally played into the hands of the Powers that Be. The puzzles, however, were increasingly difficult.
The long-standing Motley made way for a new character, Fidjit, although this was reversed for the final series.
Dungeoneers were no longer shown outside of the dungeon at the end of their quest.
Start of Episode
The progress report from Treguard at the start of subsequent episodes. This sample is from Episode 4.
- "Greetings, adventure seekers! The path opens in a few moments, but first, let's learn what company we keep.
- "In the first level, our dungeoneer of the Sword is Nicola Roberts. Three friends from Oldham are her guide.
- "They carry a glowlight and a mysterious wand, and have learned that the Brollachan wants to destroy Smirkenorff the Dragon.
- "But now, time turns, the path is open, and the greater game returns."
An animated hourglass signalled 'game on'.
End of Episode
At "time out", the hourglass would appear and run empty.
Episodes finished with discussion between Treguard and Majida. This sample is from Episode 13.
- Treguard: "What we need is a way of stretching adventure time so we can get in more adventures."
- Majida: "Treguard, you are right! The time - it always turns just when the action is hotting."
- Treguard: "And when the path reopens, we should learn how this lot can put an end to Lord Fear's latest intrigues. Can you wait?"
- Majida: "No!"
- Treguard: "Tough!"